Base Camp is on the site of the old Outwood Kiln – the brickworks on the Toms Hill Road in the parish of Aldbury. Originally it was open common land until enclosed at some time by the Bridgewaters. Although it probably started as a local brick kiln for Aldbury, it developed into a much larger operation when construction of the new Mansion took place from 1803- 1810.
The buildings are leftovers from the brickwork era which ceased production around 1938, and have been renovated and modernised by the Trust in recent times.
Base Camp provides overnight living accommodation for National Trust volunteer groups working at distant locations, like Cliveden or Waddesdon.
The accommodation requires an annual “deep clean”, so the volunteers were called in last Saturday to do the job.